Wednesday, September 23, 2015 | By: BlackGargie

5 More Months to Go...

Been feeling much better now than my last update. Finally managed to eat better and slightly more than usual, and not much of the buggy hurling feeling, but it might come back from time to time, especially when I'm too hungry or too full, so I have to eat frequently with just the right amount of food to not make myself sick.

Yesterday, finally managed to get myself registered for second pregnancy to the gov clinic, as well as getting my BRUHIM card. Here in Brunei, they implemented some sort of mass medical database system called BRUHIM for easier tracking of patients, regardless if you're a citizen, PR or foreigner (though provided said foreigner is married to a citizen or PR), and when I was preggers with my princess, they have yet to implement the system so I was never really registered into their database, so it's sorta mandatory to have a BRUHIM card unless you wanna spend the rest of your life spending wads of cash in the private sector. With this registration done, it would be slightly easier on the wallet since medical here in Brunei is free with the occasional payments for specialized treatments and meds, and we don't have to spend almost $100++ on private clinics. Granted private clinics are slightly more reliable and personalized than the mass production of gov hospitals and clinics, and their meds are slightly better and stronger than regular ol' gov-issued meds, but in light of Jr No2's arrival which might take a toll on our wallet, it's better if we go for free medication for now.

Today was my first register booking/routine checkup, and I got up with an absolutely full bladder to the point of bursting that I almost forgot I was supposed to hold it in for my routine urine test. Thankfully I drank enough on the way to produce just enough to do a test. The clinic seems to have forgone their queue system and resorted to calling names, but it's no big. When the nurse called to do the urine test, us mommies all lined up to take our test strip and dipped it into our pee under the nurse's supervision. It seems that they have also forgone self-testing as well coz of the possible human error, so the nurse would stand next to us with the colour guide and advised us to memorize the test result for the call-in later. My urine carried slight traces of ketone, apparently, and the first thing the nurse said was "Drink more water". Apparently carrying a bottle around 24/7 and sipping till I feel so bloated is not enough to replenish my bodily fluids somehow.

Inside the room, the nurse asked all the standard routine questions to add into their database, and she got to meet my girl who is pretty much manhandling my hubs with her boisterous attitude. She complimented on how well my girl could speak and said she is sure to pass her 3-year-old check up, which is pretty much on her appointment book on November, so there's that. A sense of pride welled up inside me at the thought of it, making me feel that I didn't do so bad as a mom.

Then the routine fetus heart rate was done, and my curious girl was pestering my hubs to take her through the curtain to see. The nurse humorously let her in, and she was able to feast her eyes on this odd noisy gadget that was hovering around her mommy's belly. The nurse initially was able to locate Jr No2, but almost a split second lost it as apparently Jr No2 didn't exactly enjoy the intrusion and switched places, and the nurse jokingly said that they're swimming around in there. LOL

The nurse asked me about the visits I've made to the private clinic, and saw the due date that was estimated by the doc, and she checked her own calender and more or less agreed with the doc's estimation. That was a bit of a sigh of relief, though I wouldn't be too sure until I actually go get my official gov doc appointment. Hopefully they don't have any discrepancies either. She also asked me if I were taking any vitamins from the private clinic and I told her about the multi-vitamin that she had prescribed for me that has been making constantly sick, so she gave me the familiar folic acid pills and told me to take those and discontinue taking the multi-vitamins. Hurray! My tummy is saved!

After everything is cleared, including my blood pressure, since I have already done a blood test via the private doc, the only thing I was required to do was give them a urine sample test, which I have to drop off this Saturday at their clinic, so there's that, and my first official gov doc's appointment would be next Tuesday morning, so it's gonna be another couple of early mornings for me, not that I haven't really been waking up early these days, no thanks to our old maid going off for her one-month mandatory off and having to supervise the new part-time maid (at the same time, help around the house whenever I can and also babysit my 2nd sis-in-law's brats), who sorta almost caused a bit of a ruckus and almost fired her of sorts, but that is another story to tell for another day.

I came home and did a little research on ketone in urine after that routine check-up, and it turns out that ketone is a waste by-product produced wen your body, instead of sugar n glucose, uses your body fat reserves to convert to energy. You know one of those ketosis weight-loss regime where people go on a low-carb, hi-fat diet? Yeah, that's what happens to your body if there is no carb to burn, so they burn your fat instead to give your body energy, thus help you lose weight.

Apparently the reasons for ketone being in there in my urine is 1) My body is converting my fat reserves into energy instead of the usual sugar and glucose and 2) Due to dehydration. So basically my body is saying that I need to eat more and drink more, especially food with more carbs. No wonder the nurse told me to "drink more water" and my weight hasn't been gaining much; my body has been eating up all my fat! Even though I don't really feel physically that I've lost any weight, but the scale doesn't lie, as I've been maintaining a weight of between 70 and 71kg this past month. Sadly there's not much in the house to eat except junk food, and I don't wanna eat junk food, its bad for our health, and I can't exactly eat instant noodles, coz of the preservatives in it that might fuck us both up, so it looks like I will have to be creative in making my own snacks.

On the plus side, it gives me a reason to have midnight snacks, coz apparently I cannot go for more than 3 to 4 hours without munching on something if I wanna keep my carbs in check, and having a midnight snack before bed would help my body reduce the ketosis process.

You learn something new everyday, I suppose.

4 months down, 5 more months to go...

0 comments: