Tuesday, September 22, 2009 | By: BlackGargie

Defenders of Dynatron City

I was going through some pictures in Google when suddenly a childhood memory struck me. It was a one-shot cartoon called "Defenders of Dynatron City" (although in my country, it was named as Dynamation City, no idea why) which really captivated me. I researched on it online and this is what I got from Wikipedia:

Defenders of Dynatron City is a video game released for the Nintendo Entertainment System by JVC and LucasArts in August 1992.[1]

Videogame

The game centers on a team of superheroes who protect a futuristic metropolis from Dr. Mayhem and his robotic henchmen. The Defenders are:

  • Ms. Megawatt (voiced by Whoopi Goldberg in the animated series), who can shoot electric bolts
  • Jet Headstrong, who can fire his head like a rocket
  • Buzzsaw Girl, who has a buzzsaw blade instead of legs
  • Toolbox, a robot with a smashing hammer head
  • Monkey Kid, a blue monkey armed with exploding bananas
  • Radium Dog, who can fly and has jaws strong enough to pick up cars with his mouth

Critical response

The game won praise in its preproduction by many video game magazines for the creation of an original superhero team. However, when the game was released it was widely panned by video game critics for, among other things, having a notoriously poor hit detection that required extremely precise aim for attacks to hit enemies. [2][citation needed]

TV show

The game was adapted into an animated pilot by DiC Entertainment.[3][4] It failed to be picked up and was released on VHS.[5] It featured the voice of Whoopi Goldberg, Tim Curry, and almost Christopher Walken.[6]

Comics

Marvel Comics released six issues of a comic book adaptation, written by Steve Purcell. The first issue was released in February 1992.[7]

I tried to look for the video in YouTube, which led me to Veoh.com for the full story, but unfortunately, no idea why, Veoh is no longer available in Brunei, which pissed me off big time, because I wanted to watch it again. There was a short clip of it in YouTube and even though I had to admit, it's kinda crappy animation for its timeline, it still rocks big time as I was reliving my childhood of falling in love with the characters but was hoping for a continuation that never happened. After reading Wikipedia, my long time question was finally answered.

It was kinda sad for me to know that it was only a one-shot that didn't make it because even though the animation sucked, it had potential. I especially am in love with the character Toolbox. Dunno why, he was the one that stood out among the rest and caught my eye. I even remember drawing doujins of them when I was a kid, creating my own OC called Screw Pogo or something like that to be paired with Toolbox. And it's by Lucas Art and the famous DiC Entertainment, who had been putting out a lot of good-quality cartoon series in the years back then, so why didn't it set off? It was upsetting to know that a potentially good cartoon came to a halt as a one-shot just like that. I swear sometimes people just don't know good stuff when they see one

I hope they would bring it back. It's very good. Maybe make a reboot and officially make it a cartoon series, even if it's just for one season

0 comments: